An Eye Opening Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Commonly referred to as CFS, this is a disease that is often felt with a persistent feeling of being tired. This is not your normal fatigue, as the person cannot work and is debilitated. Ordinarily, tired people just have to sleep and then they feel better. With CFS, the feeling of being tired does not go away, even after six months of resting.

As a result, your physical life is impaired. You cannot participate in sports, and you always feel weak. You cannot concentrate, and you always feel muscle pain. CFS can happen to a person of any age, but it usually occurs to people in their 40s and 50s. It also has a prevalence rate of four times more in women than in men.

After more than two decades of research, nobody knows what causes CFS. It is also difficult to spot because people normally feel tired and wouldn't think that they have it. There are also no tests that can help diagnose it. The worse thing is that there is no known treatment. Doctors also have to rule out any other potential illness before pronouncing that you have CFS.

CFS can cause serious damage. It will limit a person's abilities to work, and they will become tired all the time that they have no energy to mingle with people. They are likely to stay at home and miss out on their social lives. In addition, they may also need a personal health care provider to live with them. This often leads to depression and other medical conditions.

As of today, researchers are still steadfast about the quest to understand CFS better. And if they do, they will improve the lives of millions of people who are suffering from it. In the US, it is estimated that only 20% of everyone with CFS were diagnosed and undergoing care. The other 80% do not know that they have it.

Here are some useful resources if you are suffering from CFS or if you know someone who is.